Cane Corso Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts
Cane Corso is a popular dog breed all around the world for its muscular and majestic appearance. They are big, beautiful, and mastiff-type breed dogs. Their big muscular body serves to be a great protector for the family. They are a great defender and also known as protectors Dog. This breedis faithful and anxious to please their owners. They are athletic and has high endurance. They need a large space to live and play around. This Italian breed was developed to guard Homes and Property.
Cane Corso has a high energy level and is very athletic. This breed is the best companion who needs proper attention and care. If you are thinking of purchasing this breed then here are a few things you should know about it.
History of Cane Corso
The history of Cane Corso goes way back as Watch Dogs and hunting dogs. This dog breed was originally raised in Italy. They are believed to be the descendent of Roman war dogs.
This sturdy or robust breed came to extinction in World War I and II and were later rebuilt by the dog Fanciers in 1970.
This breed was recognized by the Federation Cynologuque International in 1996.
Cane Corso were seen in the U.S in 1988 and got the attention in 2007. They were registered in 2010 by American Kennel Club.
Information about Cane Corso
Here is the general information about Cane Corso-
|Life span||10-12 years|
|Nature||Calm, stable, and even-tempered.|
|Average Price||INR 60,000- 90,000|
Here are some of the highlights about Cane Corso-
- Cane Corso is found in various colors like black, light, shades of gray, red, light, and dark shades of fawn. They also possess brindle pattern.
- This breed got a lot of physical stimulation and mental stimulation as well to work.
- This breedis not so good with people at first. A good amount of socialization and training is needed to get them friendly with the people.
- They are big and muscular which serves them as a protector to house and property.
- They can create a lot of damages because they are inveterate chewers at an early age. Don’t leave them alone in the house until they reach a certain level of maturity.
- Cane Corso is playful and needs a lot of exercise, this is why apartment living may not be the best thing for them.
- This breedis not good for the inexperienced owner because it can be difficult to control this large, powerful and headstrong dog.
- Cane Corso loves to be around people they know and are close to one person. They are suspicious of the stranger and need socialization from an early age.
- Enrolling them in puppy kindergarten can help them to develop social skills.
- Getting a disease-free and pure breed is beneficial so, always find a reputable breeder. Please don’t get them from an irresponsible breeder, puppy mill, or pet store.
Appearance of Cane Corso
Cane Corso are large size dogs. They have a muscular and majestic presence. The height of a Cane Corso varies from 25-28 inches. The weight of this breed is around 88-100 pounds. Cane Corso possesses cropped or outcropped floppy ears.
They are popular as Protector Dogs since ages. They are mastiff-type dogs with broad chests, wide skulls, and wrinkled foreheads. Their ear is cropped for some cosmetic reasons. Their ears give them a cute appearance. This breedisfound in various colors like gray, black, fawn, red, and brindle. They have a short hair, double-layered coat which is sleek and subtle.
Their eyes vary in color and can be found in shades of brown, yellow, or blue. They have sharp facial features.
Overall Cane Corsois attractive and has a strong appearance. Their contrasting eye color makes them attractive. Some of the eye colors are in shades of brown, yellow, or blue. They have almond-shaped eyes. These dogs have a sharp gaze which makes them attractive.
Characteristics of Cane Corso
Cane Corso is a lively and energetic dog. They love to play and exercise.
Some of the major characteristics of Cane Corso are mentioned below-
- Cane Corso are strong and dignified and so are very loyal to their work.
- This breedis multipurpose dogs because of their active and alert behavior. This breedis known for Hunting and guarding ability.
- They will always have your back no matter what as they were bred for the protection.
- They are very confident and protective toward their family and so they make a perfect watchdog. They become a guardian of the place they live. Cane Corso is friendly toward families and gets aloof to strangers and hence needs to socialize.
- Socialization is essential for this breed. Early socialization and training help to conduct themselves in adulthood.
- This breedis not suitable for people living in apartments as they are large and need big space to play and roam around.
- This breed need plenty of physical activity to stay healthy and fit during their life.
- Their temperament can vary from sensitive to serious. This depends on their breeding lifestyle.
- Cane Corso does not like to live alone for a long time and may get anxious and destructive. This can make these dogs escape from the house. Don’t let him grow such behavior and play with them frequently to show them your love.
- Corsos are not illustrative, but rather they appreciate “talking” to their people with “woo woo” sounds, grunts, and different verbalizations.
- They have medium-level intelligence and a high energy level that makes these dogs hyperactive.
- Cane Corso are one of the most desired dog breeds due to their attractive muscularity that gives them an attractive and surreal look. These fun-loving dogs are the best companion for you if you are a free-spirit person who loves to explore.
Size of Cane Corso
Cane Corsois a large-sized dog. The size of a male Cane Corso is slightly big than a female Cane Corso. A male Cane Corso has a height of around 62-70cm and a female Cane Corso measures around 58-66cm.
|Male||62-70 cm||50 Kg|
|Female||58-66 cm||45 kg|
Life Span of Cane Corso
The life Span of Cane Corsomay depend on their genetic and hereditary health issues. A Healthy Cane corsodoes live for 10-12 years.
They are susceptible to health conditions like Hip dysplasia, Gastric dilatation-volvulus, and ectropion.
Regular checkups from the Vet can prevent the growth of any disease and Proper Nutrition, Grooming and Gentle Care can help your dog increase their Lifespan.
Health tips for Cane Corso
If you are thinking of raising a Cane Corso, then you need to consider a few things.
- The first thing is feeding your Cane Corso a healthy and nutritional diet. Feeding two to three times a day for a growing Cane Corso is important. Do not feed your puppy anything with artificial additives.
- One of the most important features of Cane Corso is their eyes, having a routine check-up of their eyes as they tend to face eye problems like “Cherry eye”. Take care of their nails and other body parts.
- Cane Corso are healthy, robust dogs but they have genetic and hereditary diseases that can be lifelong present
- Cane Corso has big muscles and structure. That is why a proper environment for their exercise is important.
- Cane Corso does not like to be alone and needs people around to get attention. You can help your dog become friends with other pets and people by giving early socialization.
- Many Breeders doesn’t speak about the Health issues of dog. So, always seek reputable breeders who can give you a Healthy breed. Patmypet is one of the best places to get healthy and disease-free Dogs.
Care of Cane Corso
Care shows the amount of love you have toward your Pets. Every pet needs care. It is vital for their health and growth. Proper care will help your Cane Corso to live longer and happier.
You can follow some of the important care tips which are given below-
- Cane Corso is a calm and quiet breed who loves to play around. If you want to care for your Cane Corso then you can train him/her. You can help your dog to socialize and become good and well-mannered.
- Make a routine for your dog to give proper care. It includes grooming, feeding, playing, etc.
- Give your dog nutrient-rich food. This breed is large and grows over 100 pounds. Proper nutrition helps for growth and development.
- Proper care helps to prevent orthopedic diseases in such dogs.
- Grooming your Dog like bathing, trimming nails, cleaning ears will help them stay away from disease and rashes.
- Cane Corso is a smart and intelligent breed. They can get bored and aggressive if they don’t get love and attention. Play with them and show how much you love them.
- Provide them daily exercise because they are active and driven. Daily exercise will help them to live physically and mentally fit.
- Crate train your Cane Corso for better hygiene. This will help him to learn manners of where to urinate in Home. Do not punish your Cane Corso in the form of Crate Training. It can affect your dog negatively.
- Early socialization and training are essential for this breed otherwise they tend to be territorial.
- The next thing you should keep in mind is that Cane Corso loves to play. They will even try to escape sometimes. Make sure you have safe fencing around backyard so your dog can not run away from home.
Nutrition/Food of Cane Corso
Cane Corso needs a good nutritional diet if they are exercising more. The growth and development of your pet directly depend on Nutrition and food. An ideal nutritional food helps the pet to grow well and even for longer.
Some of the nutrition tips are given below-
- If your Cane Corso is a puppy, you need to feed him three times a day. As they grown they can have two meals per day. You need to feed him quality nutritional food.
- If your puppy is between 2- 9-month-old, then you need to give special attention to his food as these months are very crucial for his growth and development
- 4-5 cups of dry food per day is good for adult Cane Corso. Don’t let them eat whenever they want because it causes stomach torsion and bloating
- Provide them 100% natural food blended with vitamins.
- Always feed your Cane Corso 2 hours before any physical exercise. They can not exercise right after eating. You can feed your dog food rich in protein, vitamins good fats, carbohydrates to boost their health and immunity.
- You can feed your Cane Corso home cooked food or commercial dog food. A Cane Corso can eat commercial dry/wet or Raw Dog food. However, it is advised not to feed these dog foods together because it can cause problem in digestion.
Grooming tips for Cane Corso
Cane Corso has short hair and a double coat although they are large in size. They have a sleek coat which makes owner easy to groom.
Here are some grooming tips for your Cane Corso-
- Brush Your Cane Corso- Cane does not need much grooming in comparison to dogs. The most important thing for you is maintaining their cute look appearance. Brush your dog once a week.
- Shedding– Cane Corso shed their hair low and moderately i.e in spring and fall season but due to their short and sleek hair, it’s easy to brush their coat.
- Give them a weekly bath-Thorough cleansing is needed as shampoo residual can irritate skin and cause infections too. Use Pet formulated shampoo and dry them with a towel after bath.
- Ear cleansing –Clean their ears regularly as the ear is prone to infections and dirt. Use cotton to clean their ear and don’t dig beneath.
- Oral hygiene – It is one of the points that owners usually forget. Use soft brush and pet formulated toothpaste to brush their teeth. Brushing their teeth daily helps to prevent periodontal diseases.
- Nail Clipping- Only use safe Dog nail clippers to clip your dog’s nails.
- You can start grooming your Cane Corso by small age. He/she will get used to it with time. Also, paying attention to the areas like the tail, legs, and stomach infections might be possible.
Exercise for Cane Corso
Your Cane Corso loves to play and exercise due to their loads of stamina. If you are a sport -person then a Cane Corso can be the best companion for you to jog around or go for a run.
Below are some exercises tips for Cane Corso –
- Exercise -Cane Corso needs to exercise a minimum of 45-1 hr hours a day. As they need at least 1 hour of minimum exercise, try to divide it into different parts of a day.
- Walk -Try new routes for a walk to keep them excited and playful, have a training session with your Cane Corso, although this might be tiring for you. You need to have a large fenced backyard or ground for them to roam and play freely.
- High-intensity activity –Cane Corso needs high-intensityactivity to burn its energy. This will help to develop their muscle strong and healthy. If not taken care of properly during exercise, your dog can also get heat strokes. Make them do activities early morning or late in the evening.
Price of Cane Corso in India
The price of Cane Corso in India for different states are mentioned below-
|Cities||Price ( INR)|