The Labra breed of Dog is friendly, companion, and hard working. Historically they have been helpful for fishermen’s in halting nets, fetching ropes, and also retrieving fish from the North Atlantic.
They are an outgoing and high-spirited breed that gets well adapted to the family environment. They create a special bond with family and also socialize very well. Labs have easygoing nature but it doesn’t mean that they have low energy. They are super active and enthusiastic athletes and so need daily exercises like running, walking, and playing to keep physically fit and healthy.
Calm and composed nature is one of the qualities which make them lovable by everyone. They are very hardworking and so used as assistance dogs, show competitors, and rescue dogs among other dogs. Being loyal and lively, Labra dogs are needed as hunting partners. They are also called Labra dog retrievers.
History of Labrador
Labra dogs were originated in 1800 in Netherland. They were bred from St. Johns’s water dogs. They were able to dive in the icy cold water because they could resist cold water and help in catching fish for fishermen. So, they were valued so much by the fishermen for their trainability, trustworthy and good ethical nature.
They were known as a distinct breed in 1903 in England. British Lab imported this breed to establish it as a well-bred dog in the U.S in 1917. They became popular after World War 2 in 1991 and got registered Internationally. They topped the breed of dog list in Canada and England.
Nowadays Labra dogs are found in variety –the tall and lanky American variety or Short and stocky English variety. Both of the ancestries are found in three versions of color which are brown, blonde, and black. They behave very gentle when getting love and attention. All they need is a ball to play and enjoy.
They are generally healthy and are used in drug and explosive detection, rescue, research, and hunting. They are so obedient, agility and shine in the show.
Information about Labra Dogs
|Height||Male -57-62 cm and Female -55-60 cm|
|Life span||10-12 years|
|Breed Size||50-60 cm|
|Nature||Calm, friendly, and obedient.|
|Average Price||INR 6000-30,000|
Highlights of Labrador Dog
Each breed of dogs composes some unique variety. Some of the highlights of Labra dog are described below-
- Loves to eat: Labra loves to eat and get obese very quickly if do overeating. So, they need to get monitored while having a meal so that they don’t do overeating. They need proper exercise and training to prevent overeating. They even search for food in the garbage or eat kids’ toys. So, feed your Labra with care, and don’t forget to make them exercise to stay fit and prevent obesity.
- Hard-working and active: Labra bred excel in challenging jobs, plus they have high energy and so work hard. They need daily exercise for 30-60 to be active and fit. They have high energy and so bark loudly.
- Kind and obedient: Labs have very real and kind behavior which is a very good nature to adapt in family and so they don’t need to train that much. They are very lively and huge in comparison to any dog. When you bring it home you will realize how obedient and kind is this dog is.
- Stress releaser: Lots of people think that Labs are hyperactive and certainly vibrant. They also act as a music artist as they play around very lively, happily, and refresh the mood working as a stress releaser.
Appearance of Labrador Dog
- There is much to cherish in regards to Labra’s smiley face. An excellent pet to keep your home lively which weighs around 36 kgs.
- They are recognized easily through their broad head, drop ears, and expressive eyes.
- They have a thick and short double coat and they are water-resistant and so-called “otter tail”.
- The feet are webbed with long skin between toes which helps in swimming.
- Their color can range from black, blonde to brown and sometimes white.
Characteristics of Labrador Dog
In general, Labradog is an excellent family dog as they are lively and playful which refreshes the mood. They need exercise and training to be more active and play well. When they are trained they work very hard to learn and love to complete the task given by the owner.
Labra dogs are very friendly and so easily adjust to other pets in the house. They are easygoing and so love to spend time with anybody around them.
The dogs who are not trained earlier get very aggressive and become destructive by digging, chewing, and barking in excess. So it is advised to train the Labra dogs from since early age. When a Labra dog is well trained it listen to every instruction of the owner and behave well. Chewing habits can also lead to oral problems.
Besides good energetic personalities, they are very intelligent and easy to train. As they have lots of energy they need a lot of exercises and proper training.
Size of Labrador Dogs
The male size is generally found to be 22.5 to 24.5 inches and weighs 65 to 80 pounds and on the other hand, Females are 21.5 to 23.5 inches and they weigh 55 to 70 pounds.
Life Span of Labrador Dogs
The average Labradog Retriever lifespan is 10-12 years. A recent study has shown that they live shorter in comparison to the yellow and black variety of Labradogs. They generally live up to 10.7 years. Diet, health care, and lifestyle also affect their lifespan. The inherited disease can make their life span short.
You will find two key groups of factors that influence your Labradogs lifespan which is given below-
- One may be the genetic disease that dog has inherited from their parents.
- The other is the problems that occur to your dog throughout their lifestyle. From puppyhood to old age. For example accidents, injury, and disease.
The way of lifestyle like how they eat, what they eat and hygiene also affects the lifespan of Labra dog. Genetic factors can be the other reason which also can affect the dog’s lifespan adversely. So as a pet owner, you can control or improve their lifestyle to attain a longer lifespan for your labra dog. These include taking proper care of the dog and keeping them healthy and fit.
As you care too much for your dog, you need to take good care of his health. That’s why we have summarized some health care tips for your lovely Labra dog.
A good healthy dog always brings happiness around them. As their health is concerned with their life span and depends so much on it. They can have several health diseases if their health is not taken care of.
Labradogs remain healthy when they are happy and excited. It’s something only the pet owners can understand. As the pet owner gets so much connected with their pets emotionally. They always want to keep them healthy and eliminate the undesirable disease from the dog.
So here we bring some of the best health tips for your Labra –
- Daily Brushing of Coat-Labradogs are dogs who shed a lot. You will discover them losing a total lot of hair during autumn and spring. You can decrease the hair shading rate but you can’t avoid the shedding in labras. By brushing their hair daily, you can make them immaculately clean. Brushing also stimulates the normal oils of the skin, which will keep their coats shining.
Find a soft bristle comb that would work great for your labra dog. It will enable you to remove their deadlock hairs and keep their dense undercoat clean.
- Frequent Exercise-Labradogs are breeds who exhibit high energy levels and therefore need frequent exercise to keep them fit, both physically and mentally. Lack of exercise makes your dog overweight which leads to obesity. A normal, healthy labradog needs an hour of daily workout every day. Physical activity of 30 mins to 45 minutes would be enough for your Labra dog. At the same time, puppies should be excluded from energetic workouts, as their bones would be soft and tender at the time.
- Provide them a Healthy Diet-Labradogs are dogs who are fond of food. They could manipulate their owners for having the stuff which they see in front of their eyes. A Labradog Retriever’s diet must certainly be balanced and nutritive. It should be full of nutrients and minerals to support their size, task level, and prevent the risk of certain diseases. Foods having Omega 3 are vital for them to steadfastly keep up their coat which is healthy and helps to reduce shedding.
- Begin Their Training Early-As labradogs have a lovely temperament, puppy owners mostly stop their training just as they grow a bit. This will get quite high-risk, as labs are large and hard to control if get aggressive. Proper training is necessary for them to keep their temperament and anger issues in control.
- Give them Chew Resistant Dog Toys-Labradogs can have pleasure in excessive chewing behavior if they don’t get things they want. They show this behavior excessively when they are left alone. So, it is advised to give them chew-resistant toys to control the urge. This not only makes them busy and engaged with the toys but also develops a healthy practice to release energy upon good things. Chewing hard kinds of stuff also leads to oral problems.
Care of Labrador Dogs
Labra loves to get attention and so needs care from its owners. Some of the caring tips for your Labra are given below-
- Feed it accordingly-Your labradog retriever possesses a huge appetite. It loves to eat, so it may carry its food dish around with him all the time. Labra dogs beg for food and if not provided consume unconventional things. This is normal. So, the proper amount of food is important to give to your labra otherwise he is always ready to eat a whole lot of bowl. Overeating also causes obesity and leads to weight gain. The food should be in proper nutritive amount. Follow the rules with food packaging, and increase or decrease the quantity depending on your dog’s health.
- Provide plenty of clean, fresh water-Your lab shall get thirsty after exercise and will need to quench the thirst. You need to provide your dog with plenty of water frequently. As we know Labra is very active and so does very hard work So, it’s important to keep your dog hydrated all the time. Do not limit the amount of water for your dog. Your dog should always be access to water whenever feels thirsty. Never forget to put some clean drinking water around your dog.
- Let your Dog Walk-Your lab needs a complete lot of exercise to stay healthy. Take your dog for a walk 3 times a day so that he can healthily use his energy. Tiny backyards are not enough for your big dog so take them outside for a long walk in open places and let him feel free. Your dog will always get cheered up after a walk. A good practice of walking every day will lead to good health for your dog and you as well.
- Provide comfortable shelter- Provide a comfortable shelter for your dog to sleep and relax. Give them a large and durable place to rest. It should make your dog feel comfortable. Cheap small beds can be messy for your dog. Giving your labradog its bed will help you to train him to stay in their space to relax or sleep.
- Groom your pet regularly. Labradogs are a short-haired breed and are in brown, black, and gold color. For some of the year, your lab will continue to be maintained at a low cost. During the summer, you’ll need to brush regularly. It will be best to remove deadlocks from its coating. Brushing your lab will also help in removing dirt and spreading natural oils.
Don’t bathe your lab too often. The natural oils that their fur has can even assist to fend off fleas and ticks. Bathe your lab 3 or 4 times a or whenever its stench gets too strong.
Nutrition/Food of Labrador Dogs
Food is the vital nutritional element that performs an important energetic growth and development in dogs. Understanding your pup’s nutritional needs is very important along with their health. They need to be served food with high nutrition to grow healthy.
Most professionals agree that the perfect food for any dog keeps him in good health at a reasonable price. Choosing your dog food that is best for Labradors is not simple.
There are currently two extremely different approaches to a dog eating food which are popular with many Lab’s owners.
• Dry kibble
• Raw meat and bones or BARF
The quantity you feed your Lab will vary depending on age together with the kind of food being given by you. Some of the food quantity tips for an adult Labra dog are given below-
• 40 – 45 pound Lab, feed: 205 – 230 grams per day
• 50 – 55 lb Lab, feed: 240 – 265 grams per time
• 60 – 65 pound Lab, feed: 270 – 300 grams per day
• 70 – 75 pound Lab, feed: 300 – 335 grams each day
• 80 – 85 lb Lab, feed: 330 – 365 grams a day
• 90 – 95 pound Lab, feed: 355 – 395 grams a day
Nonetheless, these serving sizes will change depending on the meals you give. Nutritional food is necessary to keep your dog healthy and fit. It will help your dog to grow immunity strong and prevent diseases.
Grooming tips for Labrador Dogs
Grooming is a very necessary part while taking care of Dog. It keeps them clean and feels them connected and caring. Grooming Labradogs is easy if your pup is used to being brushed from an early age. Firm brushing with a good bristle brush will remove dried mud, sand, and dust from your dog’s coating and help distribute the oils through their fur. It may also improve the shine.
Every pet needs unique Grooming and care. A number of the Grooming tips for your cute Labra are given below-
•Brushing: Brushing thorough a week with an all-natural nylon bristle brush is all your Lab needs to stay clean. However, brushing daily is great for your Lab and keeps him immaculately clean. The brushing action stimulates the natural oils which are normal to the skin, which will keep their layer shining.
•Bathing: Labs don’t like to get a bath too often. Bathe your Lab just when he gets really dirty. Frequent bathing can dry their skin out. Bathing them can be quite challenging. Give your Lab plenty of time to relax and play in the open air every day. The outdoor air keeps their skin moist.
•Cleaning the eyes: Always check your Lab’s eyes for discharge or irritation. Clean by wiping with a cotton ball doused in saline if they need.
You might notice staining around the optical eyes of a yellowish Lab. You can remove the stains by having a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide if it bothers you. Nevertheless, be certain to put a drop of mineral oil in each optical eye first to shield it from the peroxide.
If your Labrador Retriever already possesses a build-up of plaque, your vet can remove it. Your vet will have to anesthetize your dog so that it is perhaps not too traumatic.
Exercise for Labrador Dogs
Simply it is like us, who have a heart and blood vessels that need to be more efficient and healthy. Exercise assists your dog to grow more active and more oxygenated efficiently. Exercise helps to build muscle and strengthen your dog’s bones. Exercise makes your dog healthy and fit and prevents diseases.
A few of the exercises for your labra dogs are given below-
- Labra Training-Most of dogs gets fit and healthy through retriever training. You don’t have to be involved in hunting or shooting to become involved in Labra training. They are very smart and so can learn any activity and exercise when instructed properly.
- Need to fetch-Do teach your dog to fetch. He is called the Labradog for nothing. Retrieving is the exercise that is perfect for your Lab and needs to teach fetching to Lab. Fetching proves to be one of the most beneficial to Lab as exercising. It makes them fit and active. Give variation in fetching games so that they can learn new ways of exercising.
- Dog Games And Toys-You also can exercise your dog very effectively in the garden with toys made for dogs. Try playing tug, or games having a flirt pole with your labra. Making use of toys, balls, and frisbees is also a workout that is great for Lab dogs.
- Recall Games For Dogs-Recalling games are another method that works great as a workout for the dog. You only need a whistle and some treats. Stand quite near to the dog and call the dog back and forward. Each time the dog sets off towards you, back away a few steps. Such activity will develop your dog’s mind.
Give the dog a delicacy every time, to begin with, and intermittently once he gets into the game. Play with them and have fun while exercising.
Price of Labra dog in India