Siberian Husky is a popular dog breed all around the world for its attractive and strong appearance. This dog breed is athletic and has high endurance. Siberian huskies are childlike and lively dogs. You can train these dogs to take care of your children and house.
Siberian Huskies have a high energy level and they like to play. They are adorable and friendly dogs. Siberian huskies are the best companion who needs proper attention and care. If you are thinking of purchasing a Siberian Husky, then here are a few things you should know about this dog breed-
History of Siberian Husky
Every Dog breed is loyal and can be considered as our companion. The history of Siberian Huskies goes way back as sled dogs. This dog breed was originally raised in Northeastern Asia. Chukchi people raised Siberian huskies as sled dogs and guard dogs. The change in climate conditions forced Chukchi people to hunt in faraway places. This need became the reason for the rise of forerunners of Siberian Huskies as sled dogs. These dogs were raised to move cargo from faraway places in sub-zero temperatures. These dogs were able to complete these tasks with proper training.
Away from the world, Siberian Huskies became known to the world when a Musher named Leonard Seppala completed a journey of more than 600 miles in just 5 and a half-day to procure the serum for diphtheria. The news made headlines and the popularity of Siberian Dogs increased. The lead dog ‘’Balto’’ and Seppala earned much praise from across the world. This made Siberian Huskies an honored Dog Breed across the world. Mushers continue to raise Sledding Siberian huskies for adventurous sports. An annual ‘’Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race’’ for these sled dogs is organized to honor the spirit of these iron-willed dogs.
Information about Siberian Husky
Here is the general information about Siberian Huskies-
|Life span||12-15 years|
|Nature||Friendly and childlike|
|Average Price||INR 40,000-90,000|
Here are some of the highlights about Siberian Huskies-
- Siberian Huskies shed their hair twice a year. The hair shedding depends on the climate and whether they live in it.
- Siberian huskies are playful and need a lot of exercises, this is why apartment living may not be the best thing for them,
- Siberian Huskies love to run around. They have wanderlust and they are perfect for escaping house boundaries. They can break their chains, slip collars, jump fences, or can dig their way out.
- They are mischievous so sometimes they can be destructive. They love digging so they can dig your garden or yard without discriminating.
- They tend to howl instead of barking. Although they are very vocal. A Siberian husky rarely gives alert barks even if he/she sees a stranger. So, these dogs are not good watchdogs.
- Siberian Huskies are very inquisitive. They will do anything to know what they want.
- Siberian Huskies are child-friendly, they have a high affectionate nature. This dog breed is also loving socializing.
- Siberian Huskies have a mesmerizing wolf-like appearance which makes them very attractive for purchase. However, you need to check the characteristics of this dog before buying it.
The appearance of Siberian Husky
Siberian Huskies has a medium size. The height of a Siberian Husky varies from 20-23 inches. The weight of this dog breed is around 15 Kg to 30 Kg. Siberian Huskies have naturally erect ears. Some Siberian Huskies also have bi-eyes with a different color in each eye. The topline of this breed is level and the neck is straight. These dogs are made for speed and high endurance. They have a compact and muscular body that makes them fast runners.
The tail of Siberian Huskies is furry and in sickle or straight form. This dog breed has a dense double hair coat; a top coat and an undercoat. The dense haircoat can vary in colors such as red, black, gray, and white. A visible forehead cap makes their eyebrows look raised. Small ruff can be noticed around the neck of this dog breed. The coat color of these dogs can differ from white to black or mixed. Most of the Siberian huskies have white patches around the chest and legs. They have sharp facial features.
Overall Siberian huskies are attractive and have a wolf-like appearance. Their contrasting eye color makes them attractive. Some of the eye colors are amber blue and dark brown. These dogs have a sharp gaze which makes them attractive.
Siberian Husky: Characteristics
Siberian Huskies are lively and childlike dogs. They love to play and exercise. Some of the major characteristics of Siberian Huskies are mentioned below-
Siberian Huskies are very gentle and friendly dogs that love to play. They have curious personalities and often like to roam freely. Siberian huskies are friendly to strangers and love to socialize. This makes these dogs not so perfect watchdogs. Siberian Huskies are playful and they need to play around the house for better health. If you are an adventurous person, you can Siberian husky with you for adventurous activities.
They tend to howl or moan to catch your attention. This dog breed is a pack dog breed which means he/she loves to socialize and complete tasks together. Siberian Huskies do not like to live alone for a long time and may get anxious. This can make these dogs escape from the house. They are not pleasers and like to do whatever they want, which makes these dogs difficult to train.
However, if you are looking for a dog which you can exercise and play with, this is the dog for you. Siberian Huskies are not greedy when it comes to food. They eat only when they are hungry. With increased physical activity they may need more food. They have medium-level intelligence and a high energy level that makes these dogs hyperactive. Siberian Huskies are child-friendly and gentle. They love to socialize with other animals and people. These dogs are naturally clean dogs which means they do not need often bathing. They need proper grooming to keep their hair from getting mat. These dogs have high exercise requirements, you need to take them for regular walks and keep them entertained.
Siberian Huskies have a higher prey instinct so they do chase cats and other livestock. They are good with other dog breeds, especially those dogs that are raised with them. So if you want yourself adventurous, low-maintenance, caring, loving, and talkative companion, Siberian huskies may be the best choice for you. Siberian Huskies are one of the most desired dog breeds due to their attractive bi-eyes that gives them an attractive and surreal look. These fun-loving dogs are the best companion for you if you are a free-spirit person who loves to explore.
Size of Siberian Husky
Siberian Huskies are middle-sized dogs. The size of a male Siberian husky is slightly big than a female Siberian Husky. A male Siberian Husky has a height of around 23 inches and a female Siberian husky has a height around 21 inches.
|Male||23.6 Inch||20 Kg|
|Female||21 inches||15 kg|
Life Span of Siberian Husky
The life span of Siberian husky is around 10-15 years which is much better than their counterparts like German Shephard and Golden Retriever which have a life span of 10-12 years and 9-13 years respectively.
Health tips for Siberian Husky
- If you are thinking of raising a Siberian husky, then you need to consider a few things. The first thing is feeding your Siberian husky a healthy and nutritional diet. Feeding two to three times a day for a growing Siberian husky is important. Do not feed your puppy anything with artificial additives.
- Siberian huskies are naturally clean dogs so they do not require much bathing, instead of brush your puppy once a week. One of the most important features of Siberian huskies is their eyes, have a routine check-up of their eyes as they tend to face eye problems. Take care of their nails and other body parts.
- Siberian Huskies have a high energy level and puppies are no exception. That is why a proper environment for their exercise is important. Siberian huskies do not like to be alone and have a high friendliness level. You can help your dog become friends with other pets and people.
Care of Siberian Husky
- Siberian huskies are lively and mischievous dogs who love to play and socialize. If you want to care for your Siberian husky, then you can train him/her. You can help your dog to socialize and become good and well-mannered.
- Crate train your Siberian Husky for better hygiene. This will help him avoid urinating and defecating at any place. Do not punish your Siberian husky in the form of Crate Training. It can affect your dog negatively.
- Leash training is another important thing you should teach your Siberian husky. This will help your puppy from unnecessary harm. To small puppies, you can let them sniff around. However, do not pull your dog’s leash as it will make him/her pull harder.
- Huskies can bear cold weather, but they cannot take hot weather well. It is advisable not to train your Siberian husky in hot weather since it can harm their health.
- The next thing you should keep in mind is that Siberian huskies love to play. They will try to escape at every given chance. Make sure you have safe fencing around your house so your dog can not run away from home.
Nutrition/Food of Siberian Husky
Siberian huskies need a good nutritional diet if they are exercising more. If your Siberian husky is a puppy, you need to feed him three times a day. With time, your dog will switch to two meals per day. If you want to take proper care of your husky then you need to feed him quality food rich in nutrients.
- Siberian huskies were bred in harsh climates so they have a high metabolism. If your puppy is between 2- 9-month-old, then you need to give special attention to his food as these months are very important for his development.
- Always feed your Siberian husky 2 hours before any physical exercise. They can not exercise right after eating. You can feed your dog food rich in protein, vitamins good fats, carbohydrates to boost their health and immunity.
- You can feed your Siberian Husky homecooked food or commercial dog food. Make sure the food you feed him/her is of good quality. A Siberian Husky can eat commercial dry/wet or Raw Dog food. However, it is advised not to feed these dog foods together. Both dog food takes different times for digestion.
You can feed your dog raw food like beef, chicken, lamb, fish, vegetables, and fruits. Commercial dog food is a little more costly than home-cooked food. However, commercial dog food is easy to feed, store, and has a longer shelf-life. Do not feed your Siberian Husky Milk, Raw eggs, chocolate, avocado, bones, scallions, raisins, grapes, sodas, undercooked meat, onions, Xylitol, Garlic, alcohol, hops, moldy food, macadamia nuts, salty food, and bread dough.
Grooming tips for Siberian Husky
Siberian Huskies have double hair coat in their body that makes them little fur-balls. The double hair coat can be challenging for the Siberian Husky owners. The double coat of this dog breed takes much effort for grooming. Some grooming tips for Siberian Husky are-
- Brush Your Siberian Husky- Siberian Husky does not need much grooming in comparison to other double-coated dogs. The most important thing for you is maintaining the double coat of your dog. Brush your dog for at least a week.
- Shedding- Siberian Huskies shed their hair in warm weather. This is a slow process but brushing can make it happen fast. You must brush your dog regularly.
- Do not clip Whiskers- Siberian Husky’s whiskers are important for them to sense things around them.
- Fur removal and bathing- Siberian Huskies are naturally clean dogs and do not need much bathing. However, try to avoid the hair mat, wash the hair coat thoroughly to clean any shampoo that remains.
- Nail Clipping- Only use safe Dog nail clippers to clip your dog’s nails. This will make sure that your dog is safe while grooming.
You can start grooming your Siberian husky at a small age. He/she will get used to it with time. Also, pay attention to the areas like the tail, legs, and stomach where a hair mat is possible.
Exercise for Siberian Husky
Your Siberian husky loves to play and exercise due to their high energy level. If you are a sport -person then a Siberian husky can be the best companion for you to jog around or go for a run. Siberian Huskies need to exercise a minimum of 2 hours a day. as they need 2 hours of minimum exercise, try to divide it into different parts of a day. Try new routes for a walk to keep them excited and playful, have a training session with your Siberian husky, although this might be tiring for you. You need to have a secure area for them to roam and play freely.
However, be careful during the summer season as the temperature remains high. Siberian huskies are not good at tolerating heat and can get uncomfortable while exercising at high temperatures. If not taken care of properly, your dog can also get heat strokes. Try to take them for exercise and play in the early morning or late in the evening.
Price of Siberian Husky in India
The price of Siberian Husky in India for different states are mentioned below-
|Cities||Price ( INR)|
|Delhi||Around INR 55,000|
|Mumbai||Around INR 50,000|
|Bangalore||Around INR 47,500|
|Kolkata||Around INR 45,000|
|Chennai||Around INR 45,000|
|Pune||Around INR 45,000|
|Hyderabad||Around INR 46,500|
|Ahmedabad||Around INR 45,500|
How to Find Siberian Husky in India?
If you are looking for a Siberian Husky in India, then you need to consider an authorized seller. Siberian huskies are expensive dogs so you should purchase them from a good and reputed pet store. While buying a Siberian husky, always pay attention to the environment they are raised in.
Visit Patmypets for the pure breed of Siberian Huskies. Our Siberian Husky pups are healthy. We pay attention to our puppies to make them healthy.
We are responsible breeders; our puppies are raised in a loving and caring environment for better development. Our dogs are bred for companionship. Patmypets is a renowned pet store from where you can buy certified dog breeds.
Siberian Huskies do not need much care but they need proper attention when it comes to exercise food and grooming. Our store provides you with the finest dog available in India. So, visit us to have a furry friend right away.